Thursday, September 21, 2006

What Language Are Your Thoughts In?

I posed this question to friends who spoke more than one language. Their answers were rather curious:

Edward, who speaks 8 languages, answered, "English mostly, but Cantonese and Shanghainese on occasion. Modern Italian is pretty much the only modern language I can think in, though."

Vernon, another collaborator at Poblem Engrish said it was "English always".

Natalia said, "Depends. Mostly Georgian."

Jana also said it "depends" - "mostly Russian, but I calculate chess variations in English."

I know you spell it "Yana" according to the English transliteration, but J is so much prettier than Y.

Jie Xiong and Julia were two who answered, "Mandarin".

Most of the other Singaporean students - Sue Lynn, Clement, Windez, Esther, Beng Han, Kai Yan, Norman - answered, "English".

My facilitator at polytechnic, Shaun, thought likewise.

Kenny stood out by saying he thinks in "English and Cantonese".

Devin across the Pacific in America mentioned that he also thought in English. His compatriot Francis also did likewise, but was "starting to get in some German, Spanish, and French".

I'm still awaiting replies from a few more people, so this post will most likely be updated tomorrow - when their answers reach me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

And, what language do you think in?

J is perfectly acceptable in transliteration, I think.

Thu Sept 21, 02:06:00 am 2006  
Blogger Constantine said...

I know but a smattering of Mandarin, Latin and Russian - and save for certain swear words that pop up once every blue moon, my thoughts are mostly in English. ;)

Mon Sept 25, 02:40:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home