Thursday, February 22, 2007

UPDATE: Last Week

新年快樂!
First of all, I'd like to wish all my readers a very happy Lunar New Year!

It has been quite some time since I've posted anything worthwhile, so I suppose it would be appropriate to apologise for my lack of effort in updating.

The last week was fun, to say the least. Yes, there was the 'orrible secular celebration of Valentine's Day, which I spent considerable time raving against. The night of Valentine's, however, was better spent.

Edward brought us (Michael & I) to Zouk on Mambo Night; its experience is often regarded as an initiation ritual for many beginners into the local clubbing scene. It was, of course, the first time for both Michael and I - we never quite had the urge to do so, for some inexplicable reason, despite having most of our peers clubbing regularly. Norman accompanied the three of us.

Edward & Norman
It could very well have been hell, according to the many Presbyterian sermons I grew up listening to. It was dark, illuminated only by dim lights and ultraviolet rays, and ghoulish, thronged with hot, sweaty people gyrating suggestively to loud music. Despite all this, we managed to enjoy ourselves.

Norman, Michael & I
Long have I heard many describe clubbing, but it was the sort of thing one had to experience firsthand to understand - and what an experience. I learnt that gin and tonic glows under UV light, I cannot dance, Michael and Edward smoke pipes even in nightclubs, my parents keep calling me every 30 minutes just to make sure I haven't hooked up with anybody yet, and that clubbing is for people of all ages (we saw a wrinkled, balding bloke in his mid-50s dancing away with a pretty, young thing on the dance floor).

The week culminated with the Lunar New Year celebrations on Sunday (which by the way, marks the beginning of Great Lent - it really sneaks up on you, doesn't it?). The "haul" this year was better than the last - I collected a whole $100 more this year as compared to the last. However, I might not be able to enjoy this extra cash this time (more on this later).

And... that concludes last week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Francis said...

I'm not Chinese enough to get ANY red envelopes, so maybe you should share with me. =P

Fri Feb 23, 10:52:00 am 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A happy and blessed New Lunar Year.

And "gin and tonic glows under UV light"?: wow.

Sun Feb 25, 12:38:00 pm 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home