Friday, June 30, 2006

Reason #395,408.7 Why I Love My Godmother

I like her advice. Her words are always tempered with love, concern and wisdom. Last night, I asked how she felt about me going on a date tomorrow evening:

"I'll be going on a date this Saturday."
"How old is the girl?"
"She's 22."
"And you're... (pause) ...19 this year?"
"Yes... I will be in November"
"Ah, still too old for you..."
"Well, it's only 3 years, I think..."
"Still too old... but do go on the date. As friends."
"I will."
"Be of clear mind and reasoning that night. Be mature. Respect her; remember that, it is very important. And do not fall in love. Not just yet."

A few hours earlier, I had a similar conversation with my (biological) mother. Her response, however, veered dangerously close to the absurd. Overreacting, some might call it, but she calls it "concern". I call that paranoia.

"May I have extra money? I have a dinner date this Saturday."
"Oh? With who?"
"She's a 22 year old translator."
"Not local, is she?"
"Yes, she's Russian."
"Where does she work?"
"I don't know... (pause) ...why'd you want to know?"
"I want to make sure her company's legal."
"Whatever for?"
"So I will know that she isn't some illegal immigrant!"

And people wonder why I spend more time talking to my godmother!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I love the Pentecost icon.

What an interesting comment your mom made.

Sat Jul 01, 02:24:00 am 2006  
Blogger Anne said...

Thank God for godmothers. By the way, from my perusal of your blog you seem more mature than most in your age bracket. :)

Tue Jul 04, 10:34:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home