Sunday, March 26, 2006

An Update

There's a saying that goes, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it". I never realised how true that was until I took my laptop down to my polytechnic IT helpdesk to have it reformatted.

There was nothing wrong with it really, I just wanted to have it "cleaned out" and have some programmes which I had mistakenly deleted (like the one needed to play DVDs) reinstalled. It turned out to be a rather costly mistake - it cost me a lot of time to travel back and forth from Republic Polytechnic's new location at distant Woodlands. The computer turned out worse than before. It hangs frequently. It doesn't even start up properly. Hence, I had to take it down to Acer service centre, where it shall remain for a week or so.

My time will be spent buried in books for now. Learning, after all, has always been one of my passions. I've begun reading Fortescue's The Eastern Orthodox Church, among other great literary works. I probably won't be blogging (much) for the next few weeks - time will be spent in prayer and contemplation in preparation of the Great Feast of Pascha.

In other news...
I've fallen out with my brother (it's complicated) - and if God should will it, the damage will be healed in due time. If left up to me to decide, I'd sever all ties with him for good. As far as I'm concerned, I lost him to vain pride and hedonism for good when he turned 15. Since he has rejected my offer of reconciliation, there is nothing he can expect from me except apathy. I do not (as yet) hate him but neither am I obliged to love him either.

The date for my baptism has been confirmed! I will be baptised sometime during Holy Week - it's hard to determine an exact date for now as everything is, as of today, largely unconfirmed. Carmen will be my sponsor by proxy.

I spent some time with a child again after a long hiatus (two weeks?). I had a conversation with ten year old Elizaveta for about an hour or so. We didn't talk about metaphysical issues (as I'm prone to do) - but rather, about simple things. Surprisingly enough, I didn't find myself bored at any single time. She helped me with my Russian pronounciation and I helped her with drawing. Truly wonderful, the company of a child is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Congratulations on the date. I'm sorry to hear about the breach with your brother.

Wed Apr 05, 02:24:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home